From Pollyannas, head east on Whitley Avenue toward Chittenden for about .1 mile.
H. J. Whitley, a prominent land developer from southern California, took the lead in building Corcoran (the main street of the community is named in his honor). Liking what he saw during a visit to the area in 1905 (a blacksmith shop, small store, scattered homes and a lush, untapped vista with herds of grazing wild hogs, horses and steers) Whitley purchased 32,000 acres to start development and moved a member of his real estate firm, J. W. Guiberson, to the area. Guiberson became one of the many pioneers of the community, building the first home and business structure in Corcoran. His family also helped establish the first church in the community, an event which helped lead to the town's incorporation on August 14, 1914. The basis of Corcoran's economy then and now is agriculture. Initially, the most successful crops were grains, alfalfa and sugar beets (extracted from City of Corcoran website).
A visual display, rich in community history, is prominent as you enter the doors of City Hall located on Whitley Avenue in downtown Corcoran. Visitors are given a glimpse into the city's early days with photographs of people such as HJ Whitley, Corcoran's switchboard operators and a collection of antique books and furniture. Adorning the walls are vintage editions of The Corcoran Journal's 50th Golden Jubilee.