1040 Whitley Ave.
From the Train Depot, head west on Whitley (toward King Avenue) for approximately .2 miles. Christmas Tree Park will be on the right. The mural is on the building exterior to the west of the park.
From the Memorial, head east on Hanna Avenue for about .2 miles. The Library will be on your left.
The Corcoran Library has opened their doors to a new museum exhibition honoring the 100th anniversary of the steadfast institution of Corcoran High School. Take a journey down memory lane with yearbooks, team photos, badges, memorabilia, and much more as we celebrate the enduring legacy of CHS panther academics and athletics. The high school has been a beacon of excellence within our community for decades, so come down and enrich the future by honoring the past.
The Corcoran Library Branch was opened in February of 1913. It was originally located in the Storzbach building on Whitley Avenue. The branch was then moved to the old school building in the City Park, which was next to the Veteran’s building, then known as the Legion Hall. After that building was condemned, the branch was moved back to Whitley Avenue and was housed in the Neeb building until that building was razed. It was not until 1959, 46 years later, that a permanent home became a reality for the library upon completion of the county building. (Extracted from an article in the Corcoran Journal, November 15, 1962). The library is now located at 1001 Chittenden Ave.
From the Corcoran Police Department, continue south on Chittenden toward Ross Street for approximately 404 ft. Turn left onto Whitley Ave for about 102 ft.
The longtime Corcoran businesswoman Debbie Kwast originally opened Images 35 years ago, providing photography services and video rentals and sales. Now an authorized Radio Shack franchise, the business is also a payment center for a huge list of customers, provides local Cricket phones and sales plans and offers such niche items as John Deere line of clothing and toys.
In addition to Radio Shack's signature electronics items, Kwast already expanded to offer Corcoran businesses and residents office supplies--including copy paper and a variety of ink cartridges--before Radio shack recently announced it was partnering with Office Maxx for the same purpose. Local residents can now check locally for a host of office items.
From the library, head south on Chittenden Avenue (toward Ross Court) for approximately 190 ft. The Police Department will be on your right.
From Pollyannas, head east on Whitley Avenue toward Chittenden for about .1 mile.
H. J. Whitley, a prominent land developer from southern California, took the lead in building Corcoran (the main street of the community is named in his honor). Liking what he saw during a visit to the area in 1905 (a blacksmith shop, small store, scattered homes and a lush, untapped vista with herds of grazing wild hogs, horses and steers) Whitley purchased 32,000 acres to start development and moved a member of his real estate firm, J. W. Guiberson, to the area. Guiberson became one of the many pioneers of the community, building the first home and business structure in Corcoran. His family also helped establish the first church in the community, an event which helped lead to the town's incorporation on August 14, 1914. The basis of Corcoran's economy then and now is agriculture. Initially, the most successful crops were grains, alfalfa and sugar beets (extracted from City of Corcoran website).
A visual display, rich in community history, is prominent as you enter the doors of City Hall located on Whitley Avenue in downtown Corcoran. Visitors are given a glimpse into the city's early days with photographs of people such as HJ Whitley, Corcoran's switchboard operators and a collection of antique books and furniture. Adorning the walls are vintage editions of The Corcoran Journal's 50th Golden Jubilee.